What not to do while studying for exams…..
- Stay away from Netflix. I watched far too many episodes of Gossip Girl today and I was able to catch up on Glee yesterday (in one day). It’s sick, I know. If you don’t have a Netflix account, do not get one. I repeat: DO NOT get one. It will take over your life.
- Do not play games on your iPad/iPhone. I have new addictions to HayDay and 7 Little Words. I don’t have any fun games on my phone because I don’t have enough storage so all the fun is on my iPad. I need to hide it from myself or something. If you’re curious and must download one of those, then I recommend 7 Little Words because it’s probably better for brain power than HayDay.
- Do not nap any longer than 10 to 20 minutes. It’s just the right amount to give you a little energy boost, but not too much to where you feel groggy and even more tired afterwards. For example, I had intentions of taking a 15 minute power nap at 11 a.m., but fell asleep until 11:55 a.m. when my test was at noon! I contemplated running to class.
- Do not Skype with your significant other, friends or family. Even though half of my skype times with my significant other are not very conversational (it’s more like we’re just hanging in the same room – he plays Xbox and I do whatever I’m doing), it can still be a distraction and inhibit you from really learning the material.
- Do not drink while studying. This isn’t something I do, but I’ve seen girls post pictures with “studying and drinking wine with the girls hehe”. Just no. When you drink it prevents you from getting REM sleep, which is the time when your brain stores memories and things you learned from that day. Basically, if you drink while studying, your chances of remembering the material to a T are slim.
- Do not distract yourself with unnecessary chores or tasks. I painted my nails. Don’t do that. It isn’t worth the time. Wait and reward yourself after your exams with a manicure or pedicure. And unless you’re considering wearing dirty underwear, I think it’s okay to put off the laundry one more day.
- Do not eat to pass time. Give yourself a break for 30 minutes to eat your meals, but don’t aimlessly wander in the kitchen when you’re tired of studying.