Facebook has stopped its support for the desktop messenger for windows on march 3rd 2014 . Facebook Messenger for Windows was first launched back in March 2012. It was an alternative way to chat with Facebook friends without having to open the website at all.
Best Alternatives to Facebook Messenger for desktop :
Pidgin is a chat program which lets you log in to accounts on multiple chat networks simultaneously. This means that you can be chatting with friends on MSN, talking to a friend on Google Talk, and sitting in a Yahoo chat room all at the same time.
Pidgin runs on Windows, Linux, and other UNIX operating systems. Looking for Pidgin for OS X? Try Adium !. You can also use ichat for mac.
Pidgin is compatible with the following chat networks out of the box: AIM, ICQ, Google Talk, Jabber/XMPP, MSN Messenger, Yahoo!, Bonjour, Gadu-Gadu, IRC, Novell GroupWise Messenger, Lotus Sametime, SILC, SIMPLE, MXit, MySpaceIM, and Zephyr. It can support many more with plugins.
Pidgin supports many features of these chat networks, such as file transfers, away messages, buddy icons, custom smilies, and typing notifications. Numerous plugins also extend Pidgin’s functionality above and beyond the standard features.
Steps to Download and install Pidgin :
- Download and run setup from here .
- After finishing installation, open Pidgin and click on “Add button” .
- On Basic Tab, Go to Protocol and click on Facebbok(XMPP).
- Finish your basic setting as instructed in the image below.
Note : Enter fb username under Username option.
- Now go to Advanced Tab and finish your setting see the image below.
- Now click on Add button.
- Done. Enjoy chatting with your Friend right from your desktop!